5 reasons why your child should try cricket
At Headley cricket club, we want to get as many people involved playing cricket as possible. We think it’s a great game, but maybe it’s being getting a bad rap over the last few years. Here are a few reasons why we think you should bring your child should come along and give it a try:
- It’s fun! Getting a bat in your hand and hitting a ball is just fun. Seeing the ball disappear over the boundary is a great feeling. The pride taken when a young player hits their first four or six is always great to see.
- The weather is good (usually!). OK, we know the weather in this country isn’t perfect, but cricket is a summer game and sometimes the sun does shine. Kids really enjoy running around in the sun and what’s better than sitting down and watching your child on a nice day?
- Long term exercise benefits – onto the serious stuff now. We all that our kids need to be more active for their own long-term health benefits. Playing a team sport is a fantastic way to exercise. Cricket does involve a lot of short, sharp bursts of action followed by the opportunity for a breather. Ideal for everyone!
- Making new friends – a team sports allows kids to get to know people outside their own peer group at school. During an organised game, there is time for players to be with their team mates, organise their own games and bond with new people.
- Supportive environment – at Headley we know that everyone will develop differently. Whilst winning is great, we put a greater emphasis on each person developing those skills. We celebrate individual achievements (hitting a six, taking a catch) as much as any overall result. We believe that this gives a greater sense of achievement, which will be translated into overall team results in time.
Here are the times and venues for our junior practice sessions:
Under 9 (year 4 and under): 5:30 – 6:30
Under 11 (years 5 & 6): 6:30 - 7:30
Under 13 (years 7 & 8): 5:30 – 6:30
Under 15 (years 9 & 10): 6:30 – 7:30
These sessions take place at BOSC (Bordon & Oakhanger Sports Club), Bolley Avenue, Bordon)
Come along and give it a try!